There are exponential perks to social media, but rarely do people consider how social media benefits SEO (search engine optimization). Of course at MySMN, we are quite the fans of everything social media, so we are going to share how social media benefits SEO.
According to Forbes, “Social SEO (a relatively new concept) encompasses the idea that social media links and interaction play a huge part in a website’s search rankings. Search engines consistently give more rankings weight to SEO-type activities that are harder to create.” For example, creating and distributing an original piece of content such as an infographic that ends up being shared 40,000 times is great. Whereas spending 40 seconds on a social bookmark is not so great. Because legitimate interaction between a customer and a business is extremely hard to fake, businesses that are more involved with social media have an increasing amount of relevance for search engines.
So what does this mean for your business and how can you get in on the social media SEO action? Forbes listed 10 1/2 ways social media benefits SEO and how businesses can leverage the power of this combination; here are our favorites:
- Use brand name in posts. This doesn’t mean that every post should have your company name, but using the company once in a while will help Google associate your brand with your keyword posts.
- Link your social media accounts from your homepage.
- Be selective. If your company doesn’t fit into the culture of a certain social networking site then don’t join it.
- Get involved with Google+.
- Publish blog posts immediately on Twitter—they will be indexed faster.
- More followers= more audience= better SEO
- Be consistent. The more often your post to social media platforms, the more Google will recognize you as an expert in your field which will lead to better SEO.
This is just the nutshell version of how social media benefits SEO, but hopefully you gained a better understanding of their relationship. If you would like more information about SEO or how social media can propel your business, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us!