We are constantly talking about the importance of social media as a part of any great business marketing plan, and we firmly believe it. To further explain why social media is here to stay, and why you must engage, we would like to share with you a comprehensive list of social media statistics for 2012 that only reconfirm why one must jump on board.
The Social Skinny shared these statistics with us:
- On average, any given individual, in 2012, will share 415 pieces of content on Facebook, write about 15,795 tweets, will check-in about 563 times on Foursquare, watch about 196 hours of YouTube videos and spend countless amounts of time on any one of these social networking sites discovering what everyone else is doing.
- Social media activity increased from 36% to 59% of all online activity by the end of 2011, showing that social networking is the fastest growing online behavior.
- As of 2012, 2.8 billion social networking profiles exist. This equates to about half of all internet users in the world!
- That being said, 4 out of 5 internet users visit social networking sites and blogs on a daily basis.
- 70 million WordPress blogs exist in the world.
- 39 million Tumblr blogs exist in the world.
Now, here are some business specific social media statistics:
- 36% of posted content is brand-related.
- 50% of social media users follow brands on social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.
- 75% of companies use some sort of social media marketing in their marketing strategy.
- 40% of all companies admit that they need some sort of social media training to better understand the medium.
- 41% of 2011 college graduates used social media as part of their job search.
- 38% of companies believe that social media should be made high priority, resulting in about 57% of businesses trying to increase their social media budget for 2012.
- In the small business world, 1 in 3 small businesses are using social media.
So, there you have it! These statistics suggest that social media has proven to be a very lucrative marketing strategy, and it is in no way slowing down. Quite the opposite, in fact. If you have yet to jump on the social media train, it is about time to do so. Investing in social media could be one of the best moves for your small business! Hurry, before this train leaves the station in hot pursuit of the future of social media.